Full Moon, Full Hearts: Indigenous Bridge Program 2019



Yah’ateeh!  Hello!  I would first like to introduce myself as a Dine’ Adzaan.  My name is Vina and I am from the Navajo reservation.  I was born in Chinle, AZ in 1987 to my mother who is of the Taneezahnii’ clan, which is her mother’s clan as well.  My traditional introduction would include my four clans: The Tangle Clan (Taneezahnii’/my mother’s), Red House Clan (Kinli’chiinii’), Towering House Clan (Kinyaannii’), and Big Water Clan (Twoostonii’).  These clans mean I exist, therefore through me they still exist and are thriving.  I am now a 32-year-old, Dine’ asdzaan (Navajo Woman) who is one year and eight months into sobriety.  I currently live in Marble Canyon, Arizona.  I am a student at Dine’ College and a seasonal worker for a fishing lodge near the north rim of the Grand Canyon.  I was fortunate enough to be blessed with the opportunity for this trip to Tibet through a right place, right time kind of story. Synchronicities exist!  Ms. Pema Lhamo aka Meg granted me a very special experience.  Little did I know just how special it was going to be, for a woman like me who had never in a million years thought she would leave the reservation!
Tibet is world-changing, earth-shattering, mind-altering, and my place for peace and clarity now.  I journaled on the rooftop of the monastery.  I saw the land stretch and fall and stretch some more up into the mountains.  I witnessed the vast and powerful.  I would sometimes be momentarily transported back in time during our visit, especially after we would visit the nomadic village and see the children play, dirt covered and loving life.  One back in time visit, I was that exact same child sitting on the highest mound of dirt that overlooks the cornfields of the Navajo Reservation, circa August 1992, a month of abundance in our gardens though we know fall is coming soon.  The soft red dirt cushions my bottom so perfectly as it forms around me and makes the most comfortable seat I’ve ever known.  I sit there and look over the land, probably eating baby corns I sometimes snuck before their time.  This must have been when I found my appreciation for landscapes that could open my mind and travel with it in a sense.  My mother and aunts tell me I was very quiet and observant as a child. I attribute this to my time spent in a cradleboard as a baby.  The mesas in the distance covered in juniper and pine trees, the land covered with a turquoise from the sage in bloom.  Dine’ Bikeyah.  The people’s sacred land.  Tibet renewed this childhood appreciation for me.  The difference being that almost 25 years have passed since I was this child.  I have found Dine’ Bikeyah halfway around the world.
As a way to leave a little of my world behind for their thoughts, I gifted homemade aprons and hand-crafted beaded earrings.  My two mothers sent me with these gifts for the women of Tibet.  We visited many places and I gifted many sets of earrings and aprons, but one particular visit ignited my heart and left me absolutely full.  Gargon Monastery, which sits at the top of this switchback highway road up in the mountains, was our home for a few days during our visit. This is where we were greeted by the young monks of the monastery, so happily and with Khatas in hand!  It was definitely a happy arrival and renewing as we had been traveling by van for quite a few hours at that point in the trip.  Along with the monks, mini-monks, elder monks, there were our nurturers—our cooks, Dechi and Drolma.  Drolma who is a nun as well, was the friendliest person I had met in Tibet.  A round face just emitting her soul right on through.  So beautiful and welcoming for some weary travelers and me, who she spent a bit more time studying than the rest of the group.  I am guessing it was because Meg told her I was Native American.  Two round faces from the opposite sides of the earth.  I loved her immediately!  Sister!  Dechi, obviously the head mistress of the kitchen, shook my hand with strength and pure wisdom.  I wonder if people know you can feel these traits in them.  I loved her immediately too.  My own grandmother was once her age, long before she passed, and I imagined my grandmother looked a lot like this woman I just met: the same hair, the same presence, the same eyes, the same nature, the same skin, dress, jewels, voice.  I say a Tashi Delek, Ama’.  That was it.  In her mind her story of me goes like this: “Vina, my dear. You are Tibetan. You have always been Tibetan and whoever you know as your mother stole you many years ago.”  I only received a rough translation of this, but body language I am fluent in.  There were smiles, hugs, and curiosity was high.  She took my hands and studied me as well.  Never in my life have I had these experiences so in retrospect, I feel this was a powerful meeting.  It was very much needed nourishment for my personal journey.  She who had just met me, already loved me.  Unconditional love in a being so overflowing that it pours into my hands.  Before we began the trip, our trip leader, Molly asked us to set an intention.  My intention was for heart expansion.  I think it is safe to say that my heart expanded to 15,000 feet just to meet Dechi Chuzen, my Gargon Ama’.
With the Full Moon’s influence along with my body’s cycle, I trust this experience and it being highly spiritual for me.  I do not think I am alone in this belief; our group of incredible people all felt the healing energies of Tibet.  Gail, Max, Austin, Andrew, Lindsey, Ian, Molly, Blake, Susan, Christian.  Tibet is heart opening.
All gratitude, with love.  Vina Chee.



Comments

Popular Posts